Thursday 29 July 2010

Days Off

A:
We haven't blogged in a while. Harriet went off to see some friends in central southern France while I was meant to be going home to meet my baby niece. Due to some easyjet problem or other this didn't happen - my flight was cancelled - and I ended up spending the night in a seedy hotel in Tarbes (which is very much a nothing town). The next morning and I had returned to the farm a few days earlier than planned, and still wearing the same clothes I'd left in (having not taken any luggage...).

It's hard to know what to write in a blog about days at the Maison. So much happens, it's difficult to know where to start or what to leave out. Since we last blogged we have Einstein the duckling who has become quite a big part of all our lives. Abandoned by mother duck, he is now constantly nursed and looked after by Emma and Marjoljn (including sleeping in their beds, travelling in their tops & eating off their plates). I myself don't particularly like him too much though as he pooed on my bed sheet (which only added to the mess Gracie the miniature sheep had left when she got locked in the house a few days ago).

Other than Einstein (and countless panics from Marjoljn and Emma as he has gone temporarily missing a few times), I've also had my day off last Tuesday. Sam and I decided to walk to Plaisance, the nearest larger village which has a few bars and a restaurant. In the baking sun we walked for 1h15 (which for me is a lot as I hate walking). Once there we saw all the tourist sites there were to offer (just the church) and then headed for lunch in 'Bar Haka'. I'd been there with Harriet on a previous day off and 12euro for 3 courses, wine + coffee had been a sweet deal. This time it was pretty merde. I basically had school dinner breadcrumb turkey and Sam's steak appeared to be deep fried. You win some you lose some. We decided against the walk back and hitch-hiked instead.

After work I've been going cycling a lot recently. The countryside surrounding the farm is beautiful. Endless country lanes through sunflower fields & through tiny villages (each of course with it's token church, graveyard & salle des fetes). Borrowing bikes has meant I'm on an 8 year olds bike while Marjoljn dices with death on one whose handlebars aren't properly attached to the bike itself. It all adds to the fun though. We normally aim to finish at a bar (which actually is always THE bar in Prechac, since there's no other in the vicinity), and then be home in time for dinner.

During other time off there's always the river beach. Just a few minutes walk up the lane from the farm's entrance is a pretty idyllic stony beach where two rivers meet. It's far set back from the road and feels like the middle of nowhere - I was quite shocked when some kayakers went past yesterday. The current downstream is quite strong so its quite a challenging swim (although really shallow so not dangerous, can just walk out).

Bed time. x

No comments:

Post a Comment